Thursday, August 9, 2012

Unexpected Inspiration

I had a fun experience attending the re-releasing of the movie Charly this week.  It just so happens that my sister Diana Dunkley played Sam's mom in the movie.  Liz and I decided at the last minute to go up and see the premier.  It turned out to be a great night as we re-lived the story of Charly.  If you haven't ever seen it you should go and see it in the theater while it's out.  Just remember to bring your kleenex.  I of course was not going to cry this time.  I've seen the movie lots!  But every time I just ball like a baby.  The actress that played Charly (Heather Beers) was sitting right behind me and she was balling too.  So I guess I was in good company.  In fact the whole theater was pretty much in tears.  It was awesome.  One of Diana's friends sat by the actor who played Sam (Jeremy Elliot) and she said he was balling too!  Isn't that great?

Liz and I were talking on the way home and we were trying to decide what it is about this story that causes such a reaction every time?  In some ways it is the cheesiest movie of all time and yet there is something really sweet and compelling about the story.  I think it is the way the characters banter back and forth that keeps it fresh and not too mushy.  So we were discussing this like I said on the ride home and all of a sudden it occurred to me why this movie gets me every time.  It's because we are all Sam and Charly.  Each of us have a story during our time here on earth.  Each of us go through different things in life but it's all the same.  By that I mean, in the story Sam looses his wife to cancer but is that any more painful than having a baby die or a son who is addicted to drugs or a spouse who is unfaithful.  I think sometimes we tend to rate our trials, we might say I could handle that one much more easily than this one.  What we have to remember is everyone gets something that takes you to your edge.  It is why we are here.  It is what living is all about.  So none of us get through unscathed, it is all the same and it is all real and every single person gets to be Sam and every single person gets to be  Charly in one way or another.  So that is why I will keep watching the Charly movie over and over and every single time......I will ball like a baby.....for Charly, for Sam and for all of us, for we are in this together.

Diana Dunkley (played Sam's Mom), Adam Johnson ( the boyfriend) , Jeremy Elliot (Sam) and Heather Beers (Charly) Me and Liz

Yep we had to take a ride!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...