Wednesday, November 2, 2011

THE Most Amazing Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches

I had always heard about my friend Jennifer’s amazing eggplant sandwiches.  She said that her kids loved them and ate them up for dinner no problem!  So one day when all my purple eggplant stars aligned I texted her for the recipe.  I had an eggplant in the crisper drawer and I had just gone to Costco and for some reason could not resist the amazing crusty mini breads they had that day.  Mmmm, they smelled so good and were so fresh they were still warm.  She quickly responded and before I knew it I had made this most amazing dinner.  And guess what!  She was right my kids ate them up...every bite!
Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches
by Jennifer Cragun
You will need:
1 Medium Eggplant
2 red peppers (or any other colors you like)
1 large sweet onion
Olive oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Goat Cheese
Cilantro
Salt and Pepper
4 Amazing crusty mini loafs (at Costco) or any kind of sprouted bread
Slice the eggplant length-wise in thin slices.  Slice the peppers and onions.  Coat a pan with olive oil and add the vegetables.  Drizzle about 1-2 tablespoons olive oil on the vegetables and mix with your hands.  Drizzle a little Balsamic over them and place under the broiler.  Watch careful and stir often as they cook until beautifully brown and soft.  Take from the oven and stir in the goat cheese and the cilantro.  If you like you can return to the broiler for just a few minutes to soften the cheese.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  
Toast the bread and then layer with the eggplant mixture, I added fresh tomatoes on top and a few sunflower sprouts just for fun.  I like to serve these open face but my kids like to top with the other half of the bread.  Either way they are yummy!
ENJOY!


This recipe is linked up to Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop.  


1 comment:

Shay said...

This looks really good! Thanks for sharing! Shay :) http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...