Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Almond Milk....as simple as 1,2,3!

I have bought almond milk from the store for quite a while now.  The other day I needed some and I thought, DARN, I have to run to the store and then the light bulb went on!  I have almonds, I have water, I have this really fancy KTech blender!  So why not make my own almond milk!  So I did and it is amazing...so much better than from the store!  Give it a try, you will love the results!  For a very informative article about knowing where your almonds come from hop on over to Whole New Mom.

Almond Milk Recipe


1 cup raw almonds, soaked over night
3-4 cups filtered water
1/2 a vanilla bean (scrape out the seeds, that's what you want)
4 dates (any kind) soaked for 1 hour


Place all the ingredients in a good high speed blender and blender for about 3 minutes.


Now comes the fun!  It's almost as good as milking a cow!  


So there are two ways to use the almond milk.  You can use it just as it is with the pulp or you can strain it.  If you strain it be sure and save the pulp, dry it in a dehydrator and use it later as almond flour.


I discovered the best straining bags come from the paint store.  Yep, just go to your local paint store and ask for a paint strainer and it works perfect for this!


This is how I store my almonds in a recycled pickle jar

Soak them in a canning jar overnight.  Never put away your canning jar funnel, I use it over and over again in my kitchen

My 20 year old Ktech Champ!  Ignore the vanilla and agave here!
I found it much better to use vanilla bean and dates!

Here's the handy dandy paint strainer!

Now just milk this baby like a cow!  LOL!  It is fun!

It leaves you with all the fiber in the bag, be sure and
dehydrate that and use it for almond flour!




Look how lovely and bubbly it is!


Again with the canning funnel....told you I love it!

And there  you have it!  Creamy, lovely, yummy almond milk!  Keeps in the fridge for about 5 days!
Linked with love to Fat Tuesday @ Real Food Forager
Linked with love to Traditional Tuesdays @ Whole.New.Mom

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...