Sunday, July 4, 2010

What is it about books?

Just walking into a library is a euphoric experience for me. Can it be the slightly musty smell as you walk in the door? Is it the glimpse of the beautiful illustrations as I walk through the picture books? Is it the promise of a new read, so incredible that I know I won't be able to put it down? What is it exactly? I have asked myself this time and time again. I don't know the answer, I just know that every time I walk through those doors I sigh a great big sigh of bliss!

Which brings me to the other day when I was meandering about, running errands here and there and suddenly I found myself in Barnes and Noble. I didn't mean to go there, or more clearly I didn't NEED to go there but suddenly here I was none the less. I began by just cruising through the books on sale, one $5.99 book wouldn't hurt. As I perused the sale books, I was drawn deeper and deeper into the store, checking out yoga books and cook books (of which I already own too many) and then I got to the self help section. I picked up a book called "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth and I sat down in the really comfortable chair so aptly provided by Barnes & Noble and I began to read......and I couldn't put it down. I looked at the price $24.00, seriously? I did not want to buy a book for $24.00 freaking dollars but what was I to do? I was already through the first chapter and I couldn't put it down. Oh curse this weakness I have for books.

One of my fondest desires is to have custom book shelves installed in my living room, all the way to the top of my really tall ceilings, so that I could have enough room to line up all the books I love in one place. Instead of having them stashed around the house in various and sundry places.

Well, I decided, what is one more book to the stash? Aren't I worth $24.00 any way? So that is how I came home with one more book and since I was buying that one I added two more from the $5.99 sale table. Just for good measure! Sigh! Someday I will re-examine my obsession with books but in the meantime I'm just going to go and finish my new great read!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...