Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spiced Broccoli and Coconut Milk Soup


I had some broccoli I needed to use up the other night and soup has just been sounding so good lately.  So I was hunting down a healthy version of broccoli soup without regular milk or cream or wheat flour.  I was so pleased to come across this lovely version with coconut milk (which I love) and it's a little spicy too....bonus!  I ended up loving this soup so much I had to make it again.  This time a much bigger batch!  Here's where I found the original recipe at EASY NATURAL FOOD.  So whip up a batch to enjoy, I can guarantee the kids will love it too!

Spiced Broccoli and Coconut Milk Soup
2 tablespoons oil (ghee/coconut oil)
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Red chili flakes (to taste)
4 cups (approx.) chopped broccoli (about 2 large broccoli heads)
2 small/medium red potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large celery stalk, sliced
2 ½ – 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock (depending on how thick you want it)
½ – ¾ teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
Black pepper (to taste)
1 cup coconut milk
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot.
2. Add onions, sauté for 10 minutes or so.
3. Add garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and red chili flakes. Stir for a couple of minutes until the spices become fragrant.
4. Add the broccoli, potatoes and celery. Mix the vegetables in with the spices.
5. Add the stock, salt and pepper.  Simmer until all vegetables are cooked (about 25-30 minutes).
6. Remove from the heat. Blend (I use an immersion blender) until smooth, taking care if the soup is still very hot.
7. Stir in the coconut milk, then serve with a dash of yogurt (yum!).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...