Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I want bread, I want water....I am hungry!

I over heard a little toddler on Sunday with a voice of longing as the Sacrament began.  "I want bread, I want water......I am hunngggryy.  My mind was immediately drawn to my own purpose in attending church that day.  It was to partake of the Sacrament and I had a longing of my own.

The Sacrament is a ritual in many churches, with various ways of expressing it and interpreting it.  For me, I am a Mormon, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  This weekly opportunity to partake of the Sacrament for many of our faith becomes quite ordinary, hardly a thought to it.  Many times I have partaken out of habit, out of repetition, almost like a form of deja vu, an instant replay.  Today was different for me.  I had a longing deep inside, a need to fill, I was hungry.

I had come symbolically to be fed by the Sacrament.  Just like the miracle of the loaves and fishes I knew that God could feed me, fill me up, make me whole and heal me.  I needed to renew my spirit and get  ready for another week out in the world.  I needed to be refreshed and made clean.  Not perfect but clean.  This was why I had come, this was mine to receive.

I was grateful for that little voice behind me who reminded me fully of why I was there.......I want bread, I want water....I am hungry!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...